My grandparents

My grandparents
My grandparents, Reba Sally Shirley and Woodall O'Kuykendall Berry

Tuesday, May 22, 2012


Joe Monroe Currie, Sr. Diary, Book 1, pages 1-2

March 21, 1930: To-day I am 12 years, 10 months and 6 days old. I got up little earlier than usual and went on my corner. Played with Walter a little bit.  Same after school. Went back to school and listened to radio with Howard Lutz. Cut a few little trees. I used a root for my new golf club. I went down to *Louise Palmers and ate supper. Played hopscotch.

March 22, 1930: *Leon and I found some more roots for golf sticks. Played a little golf. Got a haircut and played with Walter. I got a new *Open Road book, April number. The postman had taken it to Mrs. Humphrey yesterday. It had expired so I subscribed for three years. *Balm gave me a dollar after dinner. I tried to fix posts for my garden. Went to Mrs. Palmers and made Louise a cross. Stayed all evening. That night I took my Open Roads for Mrs. Palmer to read. Louise and I smoked some grape vines.

March 23, 1930: Went to Sunday school. Francis pl...d my hair. I got venture on Jack. He chased me to Davant. I went down to Louise's. I took a piece of cake. About 2 o'clock we went to church where Louise had to practice. I watched some kite flying. We went walking on the highway. See-sawed a little... we got home. Played hopscotch and... Came home and started to ... my life for Miss Hood. I forgot to wash my teeth.

Louise Palmer, life-long friend. She married Jimmy Garrison.

Leon, Daddy's first cousin, Leon Pike.

Balm, Daddy's nickname for his grandmother, Georgia Etta Lentz Pike



Open Road for Boys magazine was published from November 1919 - 1950. The magazine encouraged outdoor life, contained adventure stories, a cartoon contest, ads and articles featuring Red Ryder air rifles, and in 1927 the magazine started an Open Road Pioneers club for boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment